Find out more about RECYCLING your computers, music players, and cell phones HERE.
Do it for the Earth - do it for yourself.
Anyway... it got me thinking about what else I can help make the world a better place. So I scooted around on the internet to some of my favorite places. Here are some wonderful things that I found to help us celebrate EARTH DAY tomorrow, April 22, 2011. Being GREEN isn't just for hippies anymore...I swear! Check out this article by The Sierra Club and take the high road. Get educated on what Being Green means. Let your actions equal your good intentions. You can!
ummmm...coffee - you'll need this in the morning!
Free STARBUCKS with your REUSABLE MUG
Wanna upcycle some of that junk lying around the house? Check out Earth Day crafts for some fabulous ideas on making stuff with youngsters or on your own!
If you are in Austin, support Give5 by shopping and eating at various establishments listed on their site. They'll give 5% of their sales to a variety of great earth-friendly causes! And while you are at it - see what Whole Earth Provision Co. is doing to celebrate our lovely lands.
Let's ReGreen the World!
I planted 5 trees! Only $1 per tree and no back-breaking work! :)
Meet some new people, enjoy the great outdoors and Picnic for the Planet.
Read more about how Small ways make a BIG difference.
Some other great reminders for Earth Day:
- Pick up a stray piece of trash, or several of them - place them in the nearest recycle bin! Get your neighborhood together and beautify your area.
- Go for a walk, admire a flower, tree, or rock, and appreciate the nature you see.
- Shop and sell your unused stuff on Craig's List
- Cook a special Earth Day meal that uses organic, local ingredients. Better yet, make it vegetarian, vegan, or raw-vegan!
- Ride your bike, carpool or take public transit to work; cut that very large fuel bill you've had lately in half! And riding a bike is good for your health, too :o)
- Use one less paper towel every time you dry your hands. Or simply use washable towels. And try using just a little less toilet paper...
- Invest in a re-usable BPA-free glass water bottle. *I know it's not glass, but I just got a Camelback Groove with a built-in filter and take it everywhere I go for those just-in-case times. I really like it!
- Wear clothing more than once, if possible, before putting them on the floor or in the hamper for washing.
- Open the window, feel the breeze, hear the birds sing - turn off the A/C (for as long as possible).
- Turn out lights that are not in use and replace old lightbulbs with energy-efficient ones. Pledge HERE
- Buy local organic items, purchase things you need/want at Resale businesses and get refurbished items instead of new ones (they are just as good, but don't cost as much...pocketbook or environment)
- Turn off running water (shower and sink) when not actively using it.
- Water your yard during late evening hours or at night, especially in Texas!
- Plan a clothing-swap with all your friends. It's a lot of fun!!
- Look into how to start a recycling program at your home or office, or make sure it's being done efficiently.
- Spend less on mass-marketed items, take a class that will enrich your life and mind instead!
- Most importantly...Practice Kindness and Compassion for others. Love more. Oh! and give more hugs!!! We all need them =)
How will you celebrate Earth Day?
Let me know in the comments.
*hugs, Love, and earth-consciousness*